Akopia Akopia Services

[mv] Re: your mail

******    message to minivend-users from Birgitt Funk <birgitt@booktraders.com>     ******

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, mediamob wrote:

> > From: "Roger B. Arnold" <rbarnold@a-dream.com.au>
> > Subject: Re: [mv] RePost Please Help: Newbie questions relating to SQLplease
> > help

[snip]

> Roger, I'm right with you - your experience matches my own. I

[big snip]

> Hint #1: There are no _instructions_ for Minivend. Don't waste time
> looking; the documentation is documentation in the literal sense. It is
> about minivend, it clarifies principles of minivend, it is necessary and
> helpful - but it will not tell you how to achieve a goal.

If the documentation clarifies the principles of minivend, then ....

> Hint #4: The biggest key to the minivend mindset: There's more than one
> way to do it. Abbreviated TMTOWTDI (pronounced Tim-Toady). Minivend shares
> this with perl, so those who like perl tend to like minivend too. In both
> cases, it means (if you'll forgive oversimplifcation) that almost all
> functions, terms, and problems have multiple meanings depending on
> context.

...the multiple meanings of all functions, terms in their dependendcies
from context should be derivable from the principles.

If this is not the case for you...

[snip]

> I believe in three classes of sucessful minivend users at this time:
>
> 1. People prepared by thier backgound to do quick trial and error (eg,
> Perl programmers)
> 2. People who have the minvend mindset 'naturally', ie they always
> approach questions in a way well supported my the existant docs
> 3. People who spend tens to hundreds of hours.

...see, if you belong to any of the three above mentioned type of
people.

If you don't, go on with something else or become addicted. If you can't
avoid getting addicted, take the more useful drug. Spend tens to hundreds
of hours to learn programming, preferably Perl.

Then be a free man... and enjoy. I think it's worth the effort.

Birgitt

-
email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: