Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] SQL fromatting...

******    message to minivend-users from Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com>     ******

Quoting Andy T. Tripp (airtripp@fusionmicro.com):
> ******    message to minivend-users from "Andy T. Tripp" <airtripp@fusionmicro.com>     ******
>
> I am trying to display a column from my SQL database in the format:
>
> [sql-param Description]
>
> this works fine for this column of the table.  However, I have a database
> that is used in conjunction with an inventory software package and I can't
> change thier existing column names.  Why is this a problem?  Because they
> have column names like "No." and "Unit Price".  I have not figured out a way
> to use these column names with the perios or spaces.  I wish I could change
> the names, but that would screw up the software that is already using these
> names.  Does anyone know of a way I can use these column names the way they
> are?
>
> I have tried:
>
> [sql-param No.]
> [sql-param 'No.']
> [sql-param /No./]
> [sql-param "No."]
>
> of which none work.

No way. Those are not legal field names in any SQL that I am aware
of. The field names must be SQL-92 compliant, i.e. no whitespace.
Interchange field names are documented to not contain spaces, though
actually a period would work in some cases (i.e. not using real SQL).

You could try [sql-pos 1], [sql-pos 2] etc. to get them positionally.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems tend to look
like nails.  -- Abraham Maslow
-