[Camps-users] Integration with related projects

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Wed Dec 17 01:32:25 UTC 2008

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Ethan Rowe wrote:

[snip]

>> I've taken a look at Camps' Perl code, and also I've been working on
>> Ruby projects for the past few months, and the 'niceness' of Ruby code
>> compared to Perl is becoming more and more obvious to me. I've come to a
>> point where I'm preferring Ruby over Perl any time.
>
> Ruby's nice, but I still like Perl a lot. But my main concern here is
> about Camps themselves, what they do, their interface, and their
> documentation. The actual implementation is less crucial, just as I don't
> much worry about how Git, PostgreSQL, bash, or many other things I
> regularly use are implemented, as long as they work well and are free
> software.
>
>> Btw, we've been developing an application in Ruby 1.8, and hoping that
>> we'd be able to use Ruby 1.9 by the time the software is shipped
>> (problem were some library bindings not available in Ruby 1.9). Anyway,
>> long story short, we got it working on Ruby 1.9, and worth noting, 1.9
>> gives 4 to in some cases 20 times better performance over 1.8.
>
> That's great news. Startup time for many Ruby tools really is noticeably
> and annoyingly slow, so if 1.9 improves that, hooray!
>
> Jon

I'll advocate Perl for much the same reason Ethan mentioned a couple of
times, aka my passion for it. A better argument however is that nearly
every Unix based system in existence installs *and* requires Perl to be
installed, the same can't be said about Python and even less so about
Ruby. This runs from Linux all the way to something like Mac OS X, and
although we may not care about non-Unix at the moment, I think the Perl
world is still more developed and oft available on Windows than either
of the other two. I'd be okay with Ruby, but what little I've done in
Python I pretty much despised, unless we are going to throw a GUI on it
(for some reason). The other big plus is always CPAN.

On the Moose front, I think with Perl 6 being an eventuality (granted I
may have retired by then), I think it is safe to use, and will also
re-mention that we can start out with anything to boot strap, if we find
the need to switch object systems later because of dependencies then
that is always possible, and one of the reasons to use an OOP
architecture to begin with. As far as start up costs, I've recently
played with this quite a bit and found a tidbit in the Moose cookbook
suggesting that a way to reduce the costs is to make the classes
immutable once you've finished with the Moose portions. Also no need to
prematurely optimize something we've not shown to be a problem.

Just a couple of thoughts,

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.