[Camps-users] branches, releases,tags, oh my?

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Fri Apr 3 16:12:23 UTC 2009

David Christensen wrote:
>> 1- Could I request that we tag releases for DevCamps?  That would make
>> it easy for people to know they are getting a stable release vs
>> something that might be a work in progress.
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
>> 2- Could I request that no one work directly on the repo?  A recent
>> git
>> clone of the repo was done while someone had a development branch
>> checked out at the repo, and the clone picked up some half-done
>> changes.
>>  It took a little time before we figured out what had occurred and
>> reset the branch to the right place on our clone.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "work directly on the repo", but I agree
> that we should only push commits which have been peer-reviewed and
> generally accepted.  I've thought that an internal development repo
> might be useful for blead-camps, with someone to act as a gatekeeper
> in pushing thing to the public-facing repo.

Why would this be done with separate repos rather than branches within
the repo? Seems like we could setup a blead branch that a developer
could track, then a gatekeeper would merge from that branch into master
only when satisfied. Then a user could track master for development, or
tagged master for stable.

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.