[Camps-users] Camps on Ubuntu

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Wed Mar 18 20:40:21 UTC 2009

I just pushed a commit that took care of a couple issues I had using a
stock setup from Ubuntu 8.10.

1. For some reason the default SERVER_CONFIG_FILE compiled into
Apache is set to "/etc/apache2/apache2.conf" which is all well and good
except then specifying "-d <serverroot>" on the command line doesn't
then pick up "conf/httpd.conf" as your main server config, or
"apache2/apache2.conf" for that matter. Normally Apache is compiled to
use "conf/httpd.conf" which it then appends correctly, but if the config
file setting is compiled in with a leading slash (as on this system)
then to override it you must specify the configuration with "-f"
instead, which wasn't how camps worked. So the commit includes a new
option for specifying the configuration file under httpd_path. I'm not
wild about the name I chose, if someone has one they'd like better
please suggest it and if we come to an agreement I'll make the change.

2. This Pg stuffs sockets and lock files in /var/run/postgresql rather
than /tmp which means I needed to be in the postgres group to write
there. I tried setting the unix sockets directory to "/tmp" in the
configuration, which worked for Pg, but caused a bunch of other use
problems with camps.

3. Pg 8.3, stock, on this Ubuntu saw a change in a configuration
parameter that is typically used in our configuration under camps, so I
created a new configuration that can be linked to and switched the
parameter name to match the new one. As I'm not an expert at such things
other suggestions appreciated.

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.