[Camps-users] 2 Hackathon branches, need 1 location

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Tue Jan 12 14:06:07 UTC 2010

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Brian J. Miller wrote:
>
>> While trolling the repo over the weekend I was going to do a bit of work
>> towards 4.x (or whatever you want to call it) and see where I could pick
>> up, unfortunately I picked the wrong branch and ended up blowing some
>> time on fixing unit test files (our Moose needs to be updated, badly) in
>> endpoint_hackathon which appears to be a good deal behind new_hackathon.
>> Neither branch seems overly well named (for the current situation, aka
>> it being nearly a year since the hackathon), so I'd like to propose
>> removing those in the upstream repo and creating a 4_0_0 branch or the
>> like. The name doesn't matter much to me, but I'd like to see us start a
>> convention (not standard) for using branch names with minimally a _X
>> sequence such that when a rebase or the like is required it is easy to
>> see what a branch is working off of. My understanding is that really new
>> work is considered 4.x, hence what I chose, but really I'd be satisfied
>> with devel_X, or if no one likes my other suggestion, how about just
>> devel?
>>
>> Either way I'd like to get a 4.x line of development going again and
>> have a branch clearly named for that development. Thoughts?
>
> I'd prefer to see it simply named after development somehow, and what's
> wrong with a simple brian_development? If it ends up becoming the 4.0
> branch we can merge it then. Given the number of abortive attempts at a
> 4.0 branch, I'd rather not name anything that till we have code we really
> want to call 4.0.
>
> Jon

To prevent time wasting trying to determine which branch someone should
start from, like I did over the weekend, but I guess everyone else would
know to check all the active branches to determine which one they like.
Just figured it might help, I had a brian_workup branch which I can
merge/rebase the work from the others into and use, but maintaining
multiple branches that no one knows which will become the "master" seems
less than desirable to me. Someone new to the project (unlikely I know)
wouldn't know whether 'endpoint_hackathon', 'new_hackathon' (whatever
that is...other than the most advanced branch), or 'brian_workup' is the
desired location to do active development not intended for 3.x master.
Perhaps I need to look into a GUI branch grapher so I can see them in a
way my head can wrap. Additionally I'd expect if we are going to have a
bunch of development branches, at some point (actually at various
points) I'd expect us to want to have a central place to merge to so
that work can be shared amongst the branches but ultimately such that
the history is clean (or at least that is what I understood to be the
general attitude).

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.