[Camps-users] question regarding setting up camp with interchange site

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Sun Jan 24 00:07:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm attempting to set up devcamp for an interchange site.
I've done so far the steps you can see below.
In case anything in that is not needed, not logical, or otherwise useless
let me know.
Trying to document the complete start to finish which might be useful for
the next person trying to use it.

I'm now a bit stuck and not sure where to continue .. 16) edit
copy-paths.yml  ... looks like that is my next step.
I was reading the doc of Camp::Master but it is not entirely clear to me
what I am to add for my site.

My set up for interchange is as follows:
- OS: Debian Linux
- DB: Mysql DB 5.0.51a
- WS: Apache 2.2.9  ( /etc/apache2/httpd.conf )
- IC: Interchange 5.7.4  ( located at:  /opt/interchange/  - actually that
is symlink to /opt/interchange.5.7.4/   in case that matters)
- CATROOT: /www/www.mydomain.com/catalog/
- DOCROOT: /www/www.mydomain.com/htdocs

  I read something regarding symlinking instead of copying.
  In /www/www.mydomain.com/htdocs/images/  I have a couple of directories
with my images which I'd prefer to not copy.
  How does that impact the copy-paths.yml? I saw something about symlinking,
but have the feeling that that would add
  more complexity to the yml (I do not want to symlink all 'images'  just a
couple of subdirectories).

- CAMPHOME: /home/camp/    (here you will find /home/camp/bin/mkcamp  ..
etc)
- DEVHOME: /home/gert/     (under this user I'll want to be doing my
development work)

I'm having to put my interchange site still in git. I'm trying to understand
what is required to be in git to make things work well .. Should I have
*everything* in git?  All cfg's, images, etc? Any guidance in this area is
appreciated.

For now I will opt for the 2 tier approach, so DEV and PROD  (no
UAT/TEST/STAGE).  The CATROOT/DOCROOT represent my production environment.
Do I understand correctly that I'd have under /home/gert/xxx my repository
where I will make my changes which I will then deploy to my DEV and PROD
environments?
So should I set up a /www/dev.mydomain.com/catalog  and
/www/dev.mydomain.com/htdocs etc?

Please let me know if I have missed any information that is needed to move
forward with using camps.

CU,

Gert

----- steps taken so far ----
setting up a camp with Interchange, Mysql and Apache:

-- prerequisites:
1)  Perl & Module requirements:
http://github.com/devcamps/camps/blob/master/README
2)  git installed
3)  mysql installed
4)  rsync installed

-- setting up camp user/binaries
1) create user 'camp' with a homedir '/home/camp'  and bash shell ..
2) su - camp
3) git clone git://github.com/devcamps/camps.git tmp
4) edit .profile
# we need dots to be moved as well when doing a mv *
shopt -s dotglob

# we need the PATH to be extended, but bin does not exist yet.
if [[ -d "$HOME/bin" ]] || [[ -d "$HOME/tmp/bin" ]] ; then
	PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi
5) source .profile
6) mv tmp/* .
7) rmdir tmp

- at this point you can do 'mkcamp' and it will tell:
  'No camp database configuration found (/home/camp/camp-db-config)!'  which
is good news :)

-- setting up camp database
8) mysql -u root -p mysql
9) insert into db
values('localhost,','camps','cmngr','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','N','Y','Y','Y',
'Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','N','N');
10) insert into user(Host,User,Password)
values('localhost','cmngr',password('-yourpw-'));
11) create database camps;
12) flush privileges;
13) quit;

14) edit camp-db-config
sn:dbi:mysql:dbname=camps
user:cmngr
password:-yourpw-

15) mysql -u cmngr -p camps < schema/mysql.sql
16) edit copy-paths.yml