[Camps-users] setting up camps on Debian Lenny with Interchange, Mysql and Apache - tutorial

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Mon Jan 25 18:28:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

Just opening this thread where I will drop in the step by step actions I
take and post here and there in other threads and discussion on the
mailinglist. Then I will revisit them and add the next round of step by step
and hopefully by the end of this thread there is something for you guys to
c&p on www.devcamps.org  for someone to get going a bit more easy ...

First edit is the idea from Brian J. Miller about the location of the camp
bin/lib ...
And a lot is probably personal preference, but if it works it works, n00bs
prefer things to work, not things to be 'however you want to do it it will
work, but you have to come up with your own ways to solve it' ...

So by all means shoot on the steps ... As you can see I am still stuck in
setting up the 'base camp' which needs some additional
reading/talking/thinking ...

setting up a camp on Debian Lenny with Interchange, Mysql and Apache:

-- prerequisites:
1)  Perl & Module requirements:
http://github.com/devcamps/camps/blob/master/README
2)  git installed
3)  mysql installed
4)  rsync installed

-- setting up camp user/binaries (assumes root access)
1) create user 'camp' with a homedir '/home/camp'  and shell (further
assumes bash) ..
2) git clone git://github.com/devcamps/camps.git /usr/local/camp
3) su - camp
4) ln -s /usr/local/camp/bin .
5) ln -s /usr/local/camp/lib .
6) edit .profile
# add /usr/local/camp/bin to PATH
PATH="/usr/local/camp/bin:$PATH"
7) source .profile

- at this point you can do 'mkcamp' and it should tell:
  'No camp database configuration found (/home/camp/camp-db-config)!'

-- setting up camp database
8) mysql -u root -p mysql
9) insert into db
values('localhost,','camp','cmngr','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','N','Y','Y','Y','
Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','N','N');
10) insert into user(Host,User,Password)
values('localhost','cmngr',password('-yourpw-'));
11) create database camp;
12) flush privileges;
13) quit;

14) edit camp-db-config
dsn:dbi:mysql:dbname=camp
user:cmngr
password:-yourpw-

15) mysql -u cmngr -p camp < schema/mysql.sql

-- add a camp_type to the DB
16) echo "insert into camp_types values('-camptype-','-campdescription-');"