[Camps-users] question regarding setting up camp with interchange site

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Mon Jan 25 18:44:18 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a bit more clarity on this one.

Currently I have my production site in:
/www/mydomain/catalog/ ....
/www/mydomain/htdocs/  ...

(global) Apache config is:
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf

(global) Mysql config is:
/etc/mysql/my.cnf

(global) Interchange config is:
/export/opt/interchange-5.7.4/interchange.cfg     (symlinked
/opt/interchange/interchange.cfg)

I have some git things that I have cloned, such as interchange, in :
/export/git/

It there a certain location where you bunch that all together, before you go
to /home/camp/-camptype-   (the place to store the camp data?).

> If you have hundreds of GB of images, that probably won't work, and
> then
> you can use the copy-paths feature. But if you only have a few GB of
> images, try putting them in version control. I've done it with up to 5
> GB
> or so and yes, it bloats your repo a bit, but makes a lot of other
> things
> easier.

It's currently about 1,5Gb images, but that will steadily grow .. But I
think for the sake of getting a hang of the basics I will add them to the
repository for now.

> Next, put everything in a single tree, organized like this camp of
> mine:
>
> $ tree -L 1 camp99
> camp99
> |-- bin
> |-- catalogs
> |-- cgi-bin
> |-- htdocs
> |-- httpd
> |-- interchange
> |-- migrations
> `-- pgsql

But this camp99 is in your /home/camp ? .. Or is this is your homedir?
If in your homedir then I suppose we skip some steps as I suppose this would
be all ending up there by doing mkcamp ?

> The "migrations" directory is where we put SQL scripts for updating the
> database schema during rollouts. We test them in a camp, and refresh
> the
> camp database from production and test again right before rolling the
> schema change into production, so we're very sure it will work right
> even
> if weeks have passed since we first wrote the script. (And we have a
> history of migration scripts in Git.)
>
> Finally, it's easiest if you set up a new home directory for production
> and make it work the same way, checked out from Git:
>
> live
> |-- bin
> |-- catalogs
> |-- htdocs
> |-- interchange
> `-- migrations

This is in your 'homedir' again?  Or somewhere else? And for that I assume
you change around some configuration settings in your standard
apache/interchange with regard to the paths it should follow?

> Except we use the standard distribution Apache and database, so there's
> no
> cgi-bin, httpd, or pgsql there. (Those aren't in Git anyway; they're
> created by mkcamp.)
>
> Did this make sense?

Not everything, but that could also be of a bit of lack of making use of git
and how to sort things out in that area.