[Camps-users] Camps with PostgreSQL on Debian

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Fri Mar 11 09:47:58 UTC 2011

Hello,

this week I was going to implement camps on a brand new development server for our projects in Vienna.
Most of the work is done, thanks to Brian for his assistance on IRC! The lack of documentation and
examples didn't make it really easy. I don't want to imagine trying without an existing camps setup
to look at ...

However, with PostgreSQL on Debian the default location for Unix sockets / lock files is
/var/run/postgresql/ instead of /tmp. Of course, this directory is restricted to used by
PostgreSQL:

FATAL:  could not create lock file "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.8916.lock": Permission denied

OK, so I figured that I can change the location of this directory in pgsql/postgresql-8.4.conf to

unix_socket_directory = '__CAMP_DB_TMPDIR__'

The next problem was that psql is _not_ connecting to TCP port 8916 with psql -p 8916 unless
you supply -h localhost as well.

It would be useful for psql_camp to have an option for the socket file instead of using TCP port
of the localhost.

Regards
          Racke

Interchange Development Team