[Camps-users] Camps with PostgreSQL on Debian

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Fri Mar 11 15:53:38 UTC 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:

> On 03/11/2011 03:56 PM, David Christensen wrote:
>> Racke,
>>
>>> However, with PostgreSQL on Debian the default location for Unix sockets / lock files is
>>> /var/run/postgresql/ instead of /tmp. Of course, this directory is restricted to used by
>>> PostgreSQL:
>>>
>>> FATAL:  could not create lock file "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.8916.lock": Permission denied
>>>
>>> OK, so I figured that I can change the location of this directory in pgsql/postgresql-8.4.conf to
>>>
>>> unix_socket_directory = '__CAMP_DB_TMPDIR__'
>>>
>>> The next problem was that psql is _not_ connecting to TCP port 8916 with psql -p 8916 unless
>>> you supply -h localhost as well.
>>>
>>> It would be useful for psql_camp to have an option for the socket file instead of using TCP port
>>> of the localhost.
>>
>> Thanks for the reports, I don't know of anyone else using Debian at this point, so it'll be good to figure out any quirks (such as the use of the pg_wrapper scripts).  When these were written we hadn't taken that into consideration, so there will ideally be adjustments that can work regardless of OS.
>>

> So would it be reasonable to add a few extra variables to Master.pm for dealing with these problems?
>
> Regards
> 	Racke

Possibly... :-)  I'd want to look at how Debian deals with local pg installations create without using the pg_createcluster, etc; I'd expect that utilizing the default pg version binaries directly instead of the wrapper scripts may be a way to make it less OS-dependent.

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen