[Camps-users] psql error when configured for mysql

Sam Batschelet sbatschelet at me.com
Fri Aug 31 19:03:03 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Jon Jensen <jon at endpoint.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Russell Steinert wrote:
>
>> Occasionally when running test instances of mkcamp, we get an error "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/camp/camp[camp no.]/mysql/tmp/mysql.[camp no.].sock' (2) Error piping command to psql:"
>>
>> We are configured for MySQL. Why would it reference PostgreSQL or am I misreading this?
>
> The error message just wrongly always said psql, since mysql support was added later on. I just pushed an update that says "database" generically instead. :)
>
>> Most of the time the script connects just fine.  Only happens occasionally.
>
> Strange. I've never seen that with MySQL or Postgres. I wonder if it's a timing problem, where the MySQL server may not be fully ready when we're sending that command.

I have seen this as well I believe that it is caused by camps not being completely erased.  This happens if your mkcamp croaks and rmcamp doesn't see what it needs to go through the kill pid process and stops so you still have

/bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/home/sam/camp15/my.cnf

after error from rmcamp

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/sam/camp15/mysql/tmp/mysql.15.sock' (2)
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/home/sam/camp15/mysql/tmp/mysql.15.sock' exists!

then try to build camp15 again. and camps no likey

Not 100% but might be a lead.

I think rmcamp should perhaps search and kill mysql camp even if it doesn't find the socket.

-Sam