[docs] Re: [interchange-core] Server hosting future ...

Jon Jensen docs@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 9 13:18:04 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Jonathan Clark wrote:

> Back to the point.. SDF doesn't look like a great way to structure and
> manage a large document. If the source was in the database imho it would be
> easier to maintain, and may open up the management to a wider group. A tree
> structure allows easy reorganisation as a document grows.

>From my point of view, keeping the docs in CVS is a definite requirement.
Beyond that, I'm open to switching to something else, though I still
maintain that though SDF has many weaknesses, it isn't SDF's fault that
our docs are in such need of repair. I would really want to see a small
part of the current docs converted to some other new proposed format
before I'd feel very interested in considering it. The hard part is the
writing, organization, removing duplication, and accuracy. :)

We could keep the docs in a database-style structure, while still keeping
them in CVS. For example, the %%-delimited Interchange export format would
be a possiblity. But again, there's a lot of experimentation and testing
that would need to be done before we dump what already works.

Jon