[interchange-biz] Re: [ic] hosting Info

Jon interchange-biz@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 12 22:15:00 2002

Lyn St George wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:22:32 -0500, Jon wrote:
>

> >    Yes I did ask for it and this is a good start.   From a hosting perspective
> >it looks like webhostxl.com has the best rates.  Unless I'm
> >overlooking something.   I wouldn't mind hearing comments on
> >this from anyone and everyone.
>
> I don't want to labour the point, but there's an old saying:
> "you get what you pay for" -

    My words exactly.  Actually my words exactly of a couple of
days ago.  So many companies with wildly varying prices
and features that I was hoping to generate some lively conversation
to learn some as well as get some personal opinions and experiences.
A couple of days ago there were two responses about two different
hosting companies and the price difference was like 10 - 15x.
Though I do appreciate you get what you pay for, some times,
why is it they are so vastly different.  What am I not seeing, maybe
there has been some negative experience, or something more appropriate
along the lines of;   If you use provider XYZ be warned you wont be
able to do this or that.  Or, for example, that provider may offer
a free shared SSL but good luck using it with IC.  Maybe some
share some bumps from some of the lesser experienced ICers.

> if your're looking for support then
> you will need to pay a rate which allows the host to give it. Look
> at, say, http://www.webmaint.net/hosting/, http://www.centreworld.com
> or others for an idea of why higher prices are justified.

    I should have mentioned that I'm in the US and would probably
want a provider a little closer.

> >    I need to go over the features and prices from
> >echo-inc/MerchantAmerica some more though.
>
> My gateways page: http://www.zolotek.net/zrl/zolotek/gateways
> has a few comparisons, though it's currently being updated.

    I've found that page to be pretty useful and informative.  Thanks.
Any changes planned for  http://www.zolotek.net/zrl/zolotek/merchant.html  ?