[interchange-i18n] encoding decoding low characters IC4.8.0 - new post

Chen Naor chen at lilux.co.il
Wed Sep 10 13:18:33 UTC 2003

Hi,

I posted in the past on the problem IC have in decoding / encoding of characters that are not
ISO-8859/1 (Latin-1?).
The problem is that some part of the UI (buttons and select fields) and some part in the store
(variants options) are not decoded to the right character set - it is shown in ISO-8859/1.

Well I found the blame, it is the HTML::Entities.

According to the docs:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/site/lib/HTML/Entities.html
quote:
decode_entities($string)
This routine replaces HTML entities found in the $string with the corresponding ISO-8859/1 (or
with perl-5.7 or better Unicode) character. Unrecognized entities are left alone

It resulting that all the HI characters that are not ISO-8859/1 are decoded to it.

Since I worked with perl 5.6.1, I gave a chance and upgrade to perl 5.8.0 and compiled
HTML::Entities with Unicode support.

Well it did not work.
The problem accurse in the UI in: Hebrew and Japanese (All the rest of the languages are using
ISO-8859/1).

Any Idea or guidance to the place that this function is working will be grate.

Chen