[ic] OT, but relevant?

BF meinbuch@mein-buch.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:33:27 -0500 (EST)

>> "Michael H. Collins" <mhtexcollins@austin.rr.com> writes:

>> Am I correct in assuming that to run a store like this one almost
>> has to have their own box collocated somewhere.  All the isps I have
>> talked to will not allow me to install everything exchange needs on
>> their boxes.

> Doug Alcorn wrote:

> [del]

> The third option is to go all the way.  Not only do you have your own
> box, you also have your own T1 or something connecting you to the
> net.  This gives you the ultimate level of control and flexibility.
> Here in the states, the cost of doing this is about $1500/month
> (approximately $800 for ISP charges and $800 for telco).  Plus, you
> have to buy your own networking equipment, UPS, computers, etc.

For students starting out a SDSL line to your home with some
static IPs costs between $100.00+ per month. It gives you all control,
flexibility and scalability you need (bandwidth only as much as you
really need at any point in time). It also means that you to take complete
system administration responsabilities vis a vis your clients for all
services you are offering. That might be a healthy way to scrutinize
your own skills before you get serious.

Birgitt