[ic] IC site development and database attachment

Keith Pettit keithp@censoft.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:02:56 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06433.76BC8570

Hummm.  First of all if you don't know Linux very will you might have a =
hard time getting this thing completely running the way you want.  I'm =
having a hell of a time, and the only way I'm trucking by is by =
hand-editing alot of files.  If you can at least do that you should be =
ok.

  1) Since my computer runs windows 98 and my hosting company runs Linux =
/ apache. Whats they best way to develop a site local to my machine and =
when i'm happy with it upload it to the hosting company?

  The easiest way I've found to do this is to make a demo cart a bugger =
around with it.  Once you figure things out make a real one.

  2) Is there a version of IC 4.6.1 available for the windows platform.

  Wouldn't try it if there was.

  3) With IC, If my understanding is correct you can links it to various =
databases, ie MYSQL etc.., What the best one (open source if available ) =
to use considering the fact that all my attempts of setting up IC on the =
hosting server are always blocked by permission / access right problems.

  I like MySQL the best.  But if you virtual hosting on sombody elses =
machine then having a remote database that it has to connect to I think =
you leaving your self up for some security problems. =20

  If I were you I'd just find somebody on the list or ask akopia to host =
your shopping cart.  You should be able to do most everyting through the =
web interface and not have to worry about the backend stuff so much.  =
I'd only suggest to people to use Interchange if they have there own =
server, there are just alot of problems when you try to host that type =
of application on somebody elses server.

  Keith

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06433.76BC8570

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hummm.&nbsp; First of all if you don't =
know Linux=20
very will you might have a hard time getting this thing completely =
running the=20
way you want.&nbsp; I'm having a hell of a time, and the only way I'm =
trucking=20
by is by hand-editing alot of files.&nbsp; If you can at least do that =
you=20
should be ok.</FONT><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Since my computer runs windows 98 =
and my=20
  hosting company runs Linux / apache. Whats they best way to develop a =
site=20
  local to my machine and when i'm happy with it upload it to the =
hosting=20
  company?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The easiest way I've found to do this =
is to make=20
  a demo cart a bugger around with it.&nbsp; Once you figure things out =
make a=20
  real one.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Is there a version of IC 4.6.1 =
available for=20
  the windows platform.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wouldn't try it if there =
was.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) With IC, If my understanding is =
correct you=20
  can links it to various databases, ie MYSQL etc.., What the best one =
(open=20
  source if available ) to use considering the fact that all my attempts =
of=20
  setting up IC on the hosting server are always blocked by permission / =
access=20
  right problems.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I like MySQL the best.&nbsp; But if =
you virtual=20
  hosting on sombody elses machine then having a remote database that it =
has to=20
  connect to I think you leaving your self up for some security =
problems.&nbsp;=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I were you I'd just find somebody =
on the list=20
  or ask akopia to host your shopping cart.&nbsp; You should be able to =
do most=20
  everyting through the web interface and not have to worry about the =
backend=20
  stuff so much.&nbsp; I'd only suggest to people to use Interchange if =
they=20
  have there own server, there are just alot of problems when you try to =
host=20
  that type of application on somebody elses server.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C06433.76BC8570--