[ic] Installation fails

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 06:42:15 -0500

Quoting Tomi Sutinen Webforest Ky (tomi.sutinen@webforest.fi):
> I have tried to install Interchange 4.6.1 version to unix server, but
> it alvays topped when I come to after ./configure where the
> program ask where to install the program. I have tried about
> thousand diggerent roots etc. nothing seems to help.
>
> Here is listing:
> opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/FindBin.pm line 143
> opendir(//..): Permission denied at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/FindBin.pm line 162
> opendir(//..): Permission denied at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/FindBin.pm line 163

This means that one of the directories above your home cannot be read.

This is happening pretty often now. Try this patch to your Makefile.PL:

diff -r1.32 Makefile.PL
3a4,5
> my $changed_dir_initially;

7c9,10
< 		chdir $FindBin::RealBin;
---
> 		chdir $FindBin::RealBin
> 			and $changed_dir_initially = 1;
51c54,74
< my $origdir = cwd();
---
> my $origdir;
> if ($changed_dir_initially) {
> 	$origdir = cwd();
> }
> elsif($ENV{PWD}) {
> 	## We will try
> 	$origdir = $ENV{PWD};
> }
> else {
> 	print <<EOF;
> We know this sounds dumb, but we need to know the current directory. Your
> system administratory appears to have set up your system so that you cannot
> search the directory path above you. Were you to ever change directory
> to /tmp or something, you couldn't even walk the tree back to your own
> directory.
>
> EOF
>
> 	$origdir = my_prompt(qq{What is the directory you are in currently? });
>
> }
59a83

771a796,799

> 	if($MV::Default{PREFIX} and ! $changed_dir_initially) {
> 		$origdir = cwd();
> 	}

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown