[ic] products directory setgid

Jean-Philippe Bouchard jeanphil@sitepak.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:35:10 -0500

Hello folks,

Two questions.

First, why is the products directory setgid? What does it mean exactly
to be setgid for a directory?

Second, we are setting catalogs for several users on the same system and
we thought of implementing the following scheme. The interchange server
runs as user interch and this user is in the group interch (the only one
in that group). Every files and directories under every catalog
directories are owned by the catalog user and the group is interch (even
though the user isn't in the group; our sysadmin told us we can do
this). This way, the interchange server can read/write/create/delete
those files. Since no one is in the group interch besides interch, that
makes it as safe as the M (MULTIPLE GROUP) makecat scheme. I was
wondering why you don't offer this scheme in makecat? Wouldn't it be
simpler to have only one group instead of having to put the interchange
user in every catalog users' group.

Thanks in advance.
--
Jean-Philippe Bouchard