[ic] Re: close_table error on a flat file database (solved!)

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:30:36 -0500

Quoting Mark Stosberg (mark@summersault.com):
> Mark Stosberg wrote:
> >
> >   Here's a challenging question (or at least mysterious. :) We recently
> > moved a server from one location to another and gave it a new IP address
> > and a new name, although we are still mapping the old name for now. When
> > we restarted Minivend (nothing had changed on the server besides it's
> > IP), we got the following error for two stores:
> >
> > Can't call method "close_table" on an undefined
> > value at /usr/local/mvend/lib/Vend/Data.pm line 409
> >
> > (This is with version 4.04).
> >
> > Posts on the mailing list gave solutions for this but said it was
> > related to a MySQL database problem. This stores runs on an entirely
> > flat file system. I tried deleting all the ".db" files, but that didn't
> > help.
> >
> > I imagine it was something in the reboot that caused the problem. Any
> > ideas on how to overcome this problem? Thanks!
>
> This is a mysterious answer for a mysterious problem. Somehow the
> catalog before the catalog giving the error (as listed in minivend.cfg)
> was causing the error. The catalog before gave this error when
> minivend.cfg restarted:
> --------
> Configuring catalog market-dev...market-dev config error: products not a
> database, cannot use as products file
> --------
>
> When I commented out this entry in minivend.cfg, the stores following it
> quit having problems. I thought store configurations were supposed to
> autonomous. Could it be related that the problem store had the
> "AllowGlobal" configuration turned on?

Unlikely -- you can test by turning off AllowGlobal and trying again.
I cannot figure this one out, though. Catalogs are completely
separate, of course, but if you were doing some override of a routine
by accident in a UserTag or Sub it could conceivably cause a problem in
future catalogs.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock