[ic] Cache/memory issues - Can't get interchange running

Jeff Case jeff_case@hotmail.com
Sun, 01 Oct 2000 22:05:37 PDT

Mike, et al,

Thanks for your help, but I'm still having problems.

Running BSDi, Apache, Perl 5.005_003

Under Interchange 4.5.5 the furthest I got was to what was apparently a db
write issue which was diagnosed by Mike as likely having to do with
insufficient disk space (among other things).  The error.log pointed to
GDBM.pm as not having been initialized.

I also tried Interchange 4.5.6 but got that error 2 msg on configure.  That
was resolved by removing hints.pm and I can now get through makecat.
However, upon interchange -r (or restart, etc) I get:

Low traffic settings.
Calling UI....
...UI is loaded....
Interchange V4.5.6
Configuring catalog construct...Using default DBM database.
construct config error: couldn't init cache at /mnt/web/guide/*

<<

Note: * is there because I can't read the rest of the line

If I persist in trying restart, I eventually get an "Out of memory!"
message, which leads me to believe that it is in fact a memory issue.

So, I guess what I am asking is... what is the issue?  How much memory is
required for the cache?  Is this physical space (I have 100+ megs available)
or RAM?  Or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Jeff