[ic] WARNING: Your mail will soon be bounced if you send TNEF

Warren Odom warren-odom@stenocall.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:50:12 -0500

>HTML mail may be derived from a standard (*ugh*) but it is against the
charter
>of this list. Period.

Yes, I've been on Usenet enough to know it's unwelcome.  Following standards
is good; following "Netiquette" is even better.  Distinct concepts.

>TNEF is not only not a standard, it is vendor-specific. It is also
expressly
>forbidden in the charter of the list and has been for 2 years.
>
>OK -- I will specify RFC 1855 as the general guideline for this group. And
>it says:
>
>- Do not include control characters or non-ASCII attachments in
>  messages unless they are MIME attachments or unless your mailer
>  encodes these.  If you send encoded messages make sure the
>  recipient can decode them.

I went back and checked the original mail I got when I joined
minivend-users, and it does indeed have guidelines, including a "List
etiquette" section which states "No HTML mail is allowed."  It doesn't
mention TNEF.  (Oddly enough, I've never enountered a TNEF-never even heard
of it until you mentioned it, even though I use Outlook [ducking] and most
of my correspondents also do.  Maybe it *is* just an Exchange thing.)

However, the "welcome" mail when I joined the interchange-users list made no
mention of list guidelines.  You may want to add that information to it.
And maybe also add the comments about TNEF and RFC 1855 to both lists.

           -- Warren