[ic] DB table and field add hint

Strider Centaur strider@scifi-fantasy.com
Sat, 07 Oct 2000 23:02:17 -0400

    I know this is common knowledge to some but.....

    If you want to add a mysql table to a catalog, simply add a file in
the /cat-user-dir/catalog/dbconf/mysql directory,

    I personally just copy the cat.mysql file to the name of the new
category then go in and edit it.  Its fairly straight forward to anyone
with any SQL/Db experience.   I did also notice I had to manually create
the table in the DB( go figure right? ),  I use kmysqlamin for this ( I
highly recommend it ) as it makes it a simple point and click processes,
mind you I can use the command line mysql and mysqladmin in my sleep,
but the GUI does make simple alters and adds allot easier.

    Adding a field to an existing table is even easier, simply alter the
table with add ( again it can be done in kmysqladmin ) then go edit that
tables file in the above directory.

    I also have to restart Interchange after making these changes for
them to show up in the admin interface.

    If you not fortunate enough to have the ability to run kmysqladmin,
take heart, there are dozens of GUI and WEB based mysql admin interfaces
out there, simply head over the http://mysql.org page and select
downloads, there is everything you will ever need and more.  :-)

--
Strider Centaur
HTTP://www.Scifi-Fantasy.com

   " It is my observation that unless you really understand the issues, you are
hardly in a position to criticize.   Nearly all Linux users have used Windows,
but very few Windows users have used Linux. " -- Me