[ic] Pricing based on adjustment

Jeff Case jeff_case@hotmail.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 02:39:12 PDT

Reid,

The pricing table exists, but you will need to modify it (to suit your needs
based on the attributes that you want to pass to the table).

The name of the attribute that modifies the price (that is, EACH size in the
tshirt example) must also be a field in the pricing table.  I used S,M,L as
a simple example.  In the S,M,L example, since only M and L affect the
price, only M and L need to be field names.  Of course, you could name your
fields SIZE1, SIZE2, SIZE3... SIZE99.

My working pricing table has approximately 30 field names.

The trick for me was giving the fields meaningful names (as they are
ultimately represented in the receipt page as "Size: xxxxx") while keeping
the number of variations to a minimum.

ALT: I am sure there is a way to set up multiple pricing tables.  For
example, you could have a pricing table for shirts, one for pants, and one
for shoes.  I just don't know exactly how to do this, as I accomplished what
I needed with a single table.

In looking at the pages you provided links to, I found a total of 5 size
variations.  If you consider that the BASE price (the one listed in the
products catalog) does not need to be modified, you only need 3 fields to
represent these products (I'll use 5 below anyway).  If the sizing is fairly
standardized, your table should be manageable.

pricing:
sku       5.5     7.5     10     12    12.5
Rabbit    +0.00   +1.50

in the products table your items would be represented as such:

sku       price     size
Rabbit    7.50      5.5=5.5",7.5=7.5"

(here, when the user selects 7.5" the price increases by 1.50 to 9.00)

Note: Since your (assorted tafeta) page really offers 7 different items,
they might best be represented by individual skus.  There is no need for
pricing modification in that case.

Also, don't forget about the color attribute.  For the rabbit, you should
use your color field in the products database to allow the user to choose
between size and color separately, ie.

sku       price      size                 color
Rabbit    7.50       5.5=5.5",7.5=7.5"    YLW=yellow,BRN=brown

You can also use color to distinguish between types, ie. in your assorted
tafeta animals or in your assorted embroidered pumpkins pages, you can do
the following:

sku       price      color
ASTPMPKN  8.00       pear=Pear Head,clown=Clown,xeyed=Cross-Eyed

etc.

Sorry for the length.

Hope that helps.