[ic] Interchange installation on Virtual Server Help required

John Walsh jwalsh@diabetesnet.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:50:32 -0700

Mike,

Being the perl and IC novice I am, I welcomed your CPAN_local_install
script, but when I ran it in my VPS space, I got:

##########
If you have errors during the process, don't worry. Either
just continue on or stop the program and try again, replying
No when prompted for CPAN.

Get Bundle::Interchange module? [yes]
Can't return outside a subroutine at cpan_local_install line 96, <STDIN>
chunk 1
.
#############

In the script, I believe these are the lines referenced:
##############
for my $module (@mods_to_get) {
         my $prompt = "Get $module module? [yes]";
         my $ask = my_prompt($prompt);
         return undef if $ask =~ /^\s*n/i;

         return undef unless defined $CPAN::Config;
         $CPAN::Config->{makepl_arg} = .......
##################

There's a sub above called myprompt, but the return doesn't seem to realize
it's there?

John

ps: While I'm gnashing my teeth on freeBSD VPSs, I have another question.
During the IC install in my system, two interchange directories are
created: one at /usr/interchange (with bin and order subdirectories) and
/usr/local/interchange with the rest. I assume this schitzophrenia was
either unintentional or I entered a path incorrectly?

At 04:40 PM 10/13/2000 -0400, you wrote:
Quoting Mike Heins (mikeh@minivend.com):
 > Quoting Hansraj Pankhania (itnc@themutual.net):
 > > I have obtain a copy of Interchange 4.5.7. , and due to access right
problems i'm having problems trying to install interchange and cannot get
the additional CPAN modules installed or as a matter of fact interchange
installed at all.

 > > I've email Jon and he advised either :-
 > >
 > > a) run perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Interchange'
 > >
 > > or
 > >
 > > b) Speak to the administrators of my ISP and get them to  install the
modules.

 > or c) use the cpan_local_install script, which I just wrote.
 >
 > I should have done this a long time ago; it is attached.

I didn't put an invocation method in.

         perl cpan_local_install /home/you/interchange

If you are already chdir-ed to the interchange directory, you can
just run the script with no arguments.

I put "require 5.6.0" in, because if you have 5.005 installed it may
try and install a complete new Perl 5.6! If you want to try it, remove
the "require 5.6.0" line and hit control-C when it starts to install
Perl (if it does).