[ic] Thousands of error logs in .gz format

Warren Odom warren-odom@stenocall.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:43:51 -0500

>The logrotate daemon is behaving as-designed.  Just edit your
>config files if you don't want the log rotated out.

Sure, the logrotate daemon is behaving as designed, but it is a bug in MV/IC
(in the RPM version at least).  Obviously you don't want to *tell* logrotate
to do that.  You shouldn't have to edit the config file.  MV/IC is creating
& editing it-but doing it wrong.

It's just a misplaced wildcard in the config file.  Instead
/var/log/interchange/*, it could write /var/log/interchange/*error.log.
That would do the trick for all catalogs without causing the problem, or
requiring a separate entry for each catalog.  (But if you have other reasons
for specifying the catalogs separately, then of course that would work too.)

And a simple rm won't delete them-there are so many it gets an "Argument
list too long" error.  I ended up deleting them one group at a time (like rm
error.log.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.1*, then rm
error.log.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.2*, and so on).

           -- Warren