[ic] MySQL db creation problem solved

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 13:48:46 -0400

Quoting Steve (steve@itcom.net):
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to Marc Villeneuve who jumped on an idea I had, and found the place to
> add -p to the makecat script!
>
> I could not get the script to create a new sql file as it would not use the
> '-p' parameter. Marc located the place to add this and it works well.
>
> In the /usr/local/minivend/barry/config/precopy-commands file
> you add it to the first line:
>
> {MYSQL}mysqladmin -p create __MVC_SQLDB__
>
> The script should really allow for an option to use -p, or better yet, if it
> it fails, to try this parameter as it's a very common configuration amongst
> MySQL installs who want higher security.

I have added a step to the upcoming installer to allow this -- basically
it asks for extra options to the mysqladmin command and then uses those
if set.

I am also building a grant script for MySQL which just does a

	GRANT ALL ON   __MVC_SQLDB__.*
	TO             __MVC_SQLUSER__
	IDENTIFIED BY '__MVC_SQLPASS__';

You will be given the option to run this at the time the database
is created. The same options (i.e. "-u root -p") will be used for that.

If anyone has an equivalent snippet for PostGres and other databases
I would be happy to receive them.

This will still not be perfect, because many people install MySQL binaries
in non-standard places, but it should be an improvement.

phone +1.513.523.8220 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

My wife is great.  She doesn't care where I go, just as long as I don't
have any fun.  -- Lee Trevino