[ic] Re: [mv] documentation

draftd draftd@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:17:55 +0200

Hello,
After reading most of the documentation I could find about interchange, I
would like to give a few personal remarks. Not that I want to hurt people by
commenting on their work, but because they really asked for comments on the
documentation.

What I think is needed most for new users is just a very basic "quick
interchange introduction".  so for example:
-a brief explanation of the fact that interchange relies on a server that
creates html-pages on-the-fly.
-You can adjust this page-creation and all kinds of database-operations by
the interchange-tags, but they aren't in the actual html-pages. They're
needed to build the pages.
-interchange uses a cgi-script that points to the pages. So their aren't any
pages in the cgi-bin, pages are in /pages/
-and most importent: a detailed description of the code of a few pages: eg.
the index.html, lefside, and a few other. Of course not all of the pages. I
think it will help new users more to look at a few pages, their code and the
explanation of what's happening than reading throughout the whole
all-covering tag reference: what does the ui_template there, this [area] tag
is used here for...., this is an image from the /thums/ dir etc.
-.....

I know all these things are fully covered in the reference guide, but if you
don't know any of the above, it's hard to distinguish between important
things and "nice add-ons".
Am I right or just writing a lot of qlksjfghfhgq ?

kind regards,
Tom