[ic] dist/mvmall?

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 07:55:30 -0400

Quoting Stefan Hornburg (racke@linuxia.de):
> Michael Hall <mhall@riverside.org> writes:

> > > More from the history, AFAIK. Unfortunately, there is no sane way to
> > > remove directories from CVS.
> >
> > Are there any future plans for a 'mall' demo, if not I think it'd be a
> > great idea.
>
> Yeah, that would be a great idea. With the current code you can
> build malls with a very low memory footprint, quite independent
> from the number of stores, if they share the same products.

mvmall was a start on a template multi-store mall with each store owner
having a different product set and order route (i.e. shipping,
taxing, email fulfillment, etc.).  We have built a few of these,
and this was to be the sum of the experience.

It never really got off of the ground -- I had too many other things
to do. 8-\

What I have learned in building a few of these is that the mall concept
is as much defined by the payment process as anything. Getting products
into a basket is not difficult; displaying pages is not difficult; designing
a payment and fulfillment scheme that works for everyone *is* difficult.

phone +1.513.523.8220 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on
society.  -- Mark Twain