[ic] RTFM?

Guy Soudant guy.soudant@soudant.net
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:02:08 +0200

Hi,

I have been reading the discussions about the "bad" quality of the
documentation. Whilst reading this, there was only one thought that came
into mind: why waiste all this energy on these discussions when one could
discuss a new version of the manual, or change the setup of the
documentation.

I think that a lot of people forget what it takes to write documentation.
Writing documentation requires totally different skills than writing an
application like Interchange. Above all, Interchange has grown into a
huge application. I would like to call Interchange a CRM application
instead of an e-commerce application.

In essence, I must agree with a lot of comments that the current
documentation doesn't fully cover the load, although there is a lot of
usefull information in it. I therefor call upon everyone to define the
requirements for a new version of documentation, perhaps even an extended
FAQ. One advise from my side: make the requirements as detailed as
possible, otherwise this approach will fail (experienced this for over 10
years of working in this field).

Hopefully this will change the discussion into a constructive one, and
will stop the negative discussion on all the flaws of the documentation.

Kind regards

Guy Soudant

PS! I really like the work Akopia has done. It's a very good application.