[ic] Beima's Response!

Ed LaFrance edl@newmediaems.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:24:19 -0700

At 06:13 PM 04/02/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, John Beima wrote:
>
>JB>>The documentation has an entire chapeter on discounts and quantity
>pricing...
>
>I am now convinced that you have a different set of documents than I
>do. Remember, I just started with IC version 4.6.3
>
>JB>>Then looking at the examples in the Construct database and old Art
>Store demo,
>
>I'm sorry, but I don't have the old 'Art Store'.
>
>JB>>you should MORE than understand how to do it... Otherwise I sujest you
>hire a
>JB>>REAL Interchange/Minivend consultant to hand hold you through the
>basics...
>
>I don't have a problem with hiring someone to help, but I do object to
>getting ripped off!
>
>I asked Akopia to assist me in installing the IC 4.6.3 server. I was
>told that the fee is $180 per hour with a 3 hour minimum. I hired a
>consultant that had never seen the software before, and paid him
>$100/per hour. He had it up and fully operational in less than an hour!
>And, he had never seen the software before. In addition, he fully
>explained to me what was happening as we went along. I needed to do a
>re-install by myself, and I had no problem because of his explanations.
>
>I would expect that Akopia would be able to do it in far less time than
>my consultant did. I think that $540 for a one hour (or less) job is
>outrageous!

I really can't understand this attitude.  RH/Akopia has to make money
somehow!  They distribute what is arguably one of the best e-commerce
products for the microcomputer platform - completely free of charge.  They
have a staff of many talented people and undoubtedly all the overhead that
goes along with that.  It should come as no great surprise to anyone that a
"premium" price will be paid when hiring their services - and I quoted
that, because honestly, $180/hour is PEANUTS compared to price commanded by
many, many other firms (most of them not even the authors of the products
they use).

- Ed L.