[ic] Documentation

Ed LaFrance edl@newmediaems.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:15:46 -0700

At 08:57 AM 04/03/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, John Beima wrote:
>
> > Are we going to get a base store that does NOT use css?
>
>We weren't planning on it.
>
> > Since WebTV has problems with them, and they are a growing base, this
> > demo would become very useless to popular sites....
>
>We'll have to take a look at it there. I've personally never known anyone
>with WebTV. It should just ignore the CSS, which would be fine. But if
>someone can point out particular problems I'm sure we can work around
>them.

A couple of thoughts on this:

Here's one - avoid the use of the CSS properties for positioning (margin,
offset, etc) - obviously this could cause serious layout problems on
browsers which don't recognize CSS.

Another would be giving careful consideration to the use of classes, as
they allow drastic modifications to the default properties of many HTML
formatting tags.  For instance, if you create a class for a 'title' font
which specifies 24pt type and use it thusly:

...it will be a nice big title on a CSS-supporting browser, but lost in the
body text on others.  Better to stylize one of the html header tags in this
case, so at least the type sizes will be roughly equivalent between CSS and
non-CSS browsers.

- Ed L.

**** Virtual Hosting w/private IC Installation, $65/month! ****
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax