[ic] How to create [same name] subcategories

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:20:12 -0400

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:50:27AM -0600, John Beima wrote:
> Have "Dog Products" be the area, and "Food" be the category...

You are getting into deep goo.  I suspect the [tree]
tag in new ic might be aimed at this but the key is
your concept of the categories.

If they are the same data, that is one thing.  If they
are different, it is another.  I sent email to list about
how to categorize items relatively arbitrarily maybe
two months ago.  If you do not need to go more layers
then "area" and "category" sounds like it might work.
If you need to go more layers or cross link they will
not be enough.

DMOZ for example, names the categories:
Dog_Products_Food
Cat_Products_Food
but they also use integer id.

Long term, if you want to go more than a couple of
categories deep and keep any hair on your head you
need to assign categories id numbers and map to names.