[ic] Can i have UI on and the site offline?

Jim Balcom jim@idk-enterprises.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:09:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Dan B wrote:

DB>>>Is there a way to have the UI on,but have the site off-line?
DB>>>I what to be able to change the sites without the users to be able to
DB>>>see the changes i do until I finish.
DB>>
DB>>If you are talking about general changes, then:
DB>>Alan Young, Mike Heins, and I discussed that in a few recent posts, you
DB>>might try digging that up.
DB>>
DB>>I believe the most valuable setup to to run two catalogs: 1 production, and
DB>>1 development.  Using CVS, you can roll some devleopment features back to
DB>>production (bug fixes), or upgrade to entirely new versions with additional
DB>>features.
DB>>
DB>>Basically what you need is an experienced unix admin to set this up to be
DB>>smooth.
DB>>
DB>>But if you are talking about data changes, then:
DB>>Download the database into some format (e.g. text), and make all the
DB>>changes you want, then upload them all at once.

If he has control of his DNS server, he could set it all up under
www.test.mydomain.com, and once it was ready move it over to
www.mydomain.com.

But, how complicated would it be to remove that 'test' in the final
production? And, it would require DNS changes, which may not be easily
done.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Tuesday, April 03, 2001 at 21:05 PM:
.. Bugs come in through open Windows.

This Linux System has been up 1 hours