[ic] Problem with using %Db in local usertags (4.7.x)

David Totten akopia@davetotten.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:12:03 -0400

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 07:44:08PM +0200, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a usertag like this:
>
> UserTag example Routine <<EOF
> sub {
>     $db = $Db{'whatever'};
>     unless ($db) {
>         Log ("No such database: %s", 'whatever');
>         return;
>     }
> }
> EOF
>
> If I call [example] on a page, I get an error "No such database".
> The error can be avoided by placing [perl tables=whatever]
> anywhere before [example]. This seems rather clumsy to me.
>
> The database in question is SQL.
>
> Any hints to improve this ?

This is how I was able to get a database handle in a usertag:

 UserTag example Routine <<EOF
 sub {

     #I hacked this out by reading in the Interchange perl modules
     my $db = Vend::Data::database_exists_ref('database_name');

     unless ($db) { #I am guessing you could put this here.
         Log ("No such database: %s", 'whatever');
         return;
     }

     my %Sql = ();
     $Sql{'database_name'} = $db->[$Vend::Table::DBI::DBI];

     #now I have a database handle $dbh
     my $dbh = $Sql{'database_name'};

     #can create a statement handle, and it acts normally
     my $sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from database_name");
     $sth->execute();
     $sth->finish();

 }
 EOF

now, there could be an easier way to do this and I was just doing it the hard
way. I would be interested in easier ways of doing this myself.

Dave Totten

--
Start random buzzword text:
For example, the interrelation of system and/or subsystem technologies mandates staff-meeting-level attention to the client-server archetecture.