[ic] VIRUS WARNING !!!!

joachim.richter joachim.richter@usvideocenter.de
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:38:25 +0200

Hi List,

I have just received two emails from the following person, answering a question I put on the list this morning

From: "Suzanne Thompson" <3dranger@mpinet.net>

To: <joachim.richter@usvideocenter.de>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [ic] URL DISPLAY
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:41:44 -0400

The attachment was the new Virus I-Worm.Badtrans

This worm can be detected using AVX Professional ftp://ftp.avx.com/avxdesktop/setupavxpro.exe

Manually removing an infection from your computer can put your data at risk for damage that may or may not be recoverable. Central Command strongly recommends that you backup all of your data prior to attempting to remove an infection or repair any damage causes by an infection.

Details:
----------

Name: I-Worm.Badtrans
Alias: W32.Badtrans.13312@mm
Detection added : April 12, 2001
Spread Method : Via E-Mail (A copy of the worm will be sent as a reply message to all unread emails in the users Inbox folder)

------------

Worm part:
-------------

When the attachment is executed the worm drops the trojan "hkk32.exe" into the Windows folder and executes itself. A copy of worm is created under the file name inetd.exe in Windows folder. The following line is added to "win.ini" in [windows] section: run=c:\windows\inetd.exe.

Trojan part:
--------------

The hkk32.exe is a trojan called: Trojan.PSW.Hooker. This trojan drops a file called hksdll.dll used later as hook component to intercept pressed keys. A copy of the worm called kern32.exe is created in Windows folder and the original file hkk32.exe is deleted.

It also add the following key to registry in order to be executed every time windows loads:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
kernel32 = c:\windows\system\kern32.exe

It sends information from infected computers to the email address: ld8dl1@mailandnews.com

regards Joe
.