[ic] Non Standard Pricing

Brian Smedley brian@street-light.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:19:36 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my first Interchange shopping cart.  While I have gone through most of the documentation I can get my hands on I am missing a few keys to allow me to customize the shopping cart the way I wish.

All of the items that will be placed in the shopping cart have the same price and price breaks are based on how many items you buy.  Ie:  buy 3 get 1 free.  I had it figured out in theory how to make this happen but things seem to be failing me at step one in implementation.

The first issue I am having is that I want to make it so that the user can only add an item once to a cart and generate and error message if they try to re-add an item that is already in their cart.  While this is not a priority it would be really nice.

Now the main issue I am having is using the imbedded perl command to create my own prices.   I have gone over most of the docs, but I feel like I am missing something.  ie: the ability for me to set the total price.

My plan was this.  While looping through the items in the basket and displaying them to the user to count the total items in the cart and then based on the break points simply multiply the non-free videos by the unit cost and assign that value to the price total and move on.

[perl]
$total_items_in_cart=0;
[/perl]

[item-list]
<TR>
<TD>[item-code]</TD>
<TD>[item-field description]</TD>
</TR>
[perl]
$total_items_in_cart+=1;
[/perl]
[/item-list]

Now what is happening is when there are four items in the cart I get:

1
2
3
4
-list of items-

This is very strange as I am not echoing the variable in my code.  This of course could be entirely skipped if I could get a list of all of the variables available to me and just pull the total number of unique items from interchange.  ( is there such a list somewhere? )

The last question I have is about removing items from a cart.  I would like to give the ability for a surfer to remove an item or with one button click to empty their cart entirely.

Am I missing a section of documentation that has all my answers?

Thanks in advance,

</brian>

---
Brian Smedley