[ic] Cant Edit Items from UI

Mark Johnson interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Aug 7 10:19:01 2001

Admin Account wrote:

> Could I have awaken this problem by adding fields?

No. If you follow the code which performs a database lookup for a
dropdown box, you'll find that you can enter two fields: one for the
value, and one for the label. In the old code, if only the value field
was defined, it was copied to be the label field as well--hence, the
'category, category' in the select. I'm pretty sure Mike changed it to
simply dump the results of the select into both buckets post-query
instead of creating a duplicate bucket pre-query.

> I have been thinking of upgrading to 4.7.7 but I'm
> scared.  I see a lot of posts from people who have
> problems.  Can I upgrade fairly easily and keep my
> construct based catalog?

Sometimes it can be trivial, and sometimes it can be a bear. I generally
find that, if you have a lot of customization, it tends to be harder.
I've never, personally, tried running a stock Construct demo against
4.7, so I just can't answer this accurately.

What I would do is, install 4.7, run a foundation makecat, and then copy
construct into a different directory. Try to run it "as-is" against 4.7.
Any custom stuff you've done in the UI will probably not transfer well,
as much has changed between 4.6 and 4.7 in the UI. Copy the database and
copy the foundation vlink to some other name (I'd probably use
construct.4.7), and give it a whirl. If you find a lot of stuff behaving
strangely, then it's probably going to be a lot of work; if not, well,
then you've already sucessfully upgraded :).

--
Mark Johnson
Senior Systems Architect - Professional Services