[ic] Calling all search gurus

Thu Aug 9 18:52:01 2001

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> Hi all -
>
> Using IC 4.6.5 with MySQL.  Need to do a form-based search, something like
> this:
>
> mv_search_field="field1,field2,field3,field4"
> mv_searchspec="foo"
>
> mv_search_field="field5"
> mv_searchspec="1"
>
> I need to find all products which have /foo/ in any of the corresponding
> fields, AND do not have '1' in the other field.  I thought this would be a
> simple coordinated search:
>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_searchtype value=db>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_coordinate value=yes>
>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_search_field value="field1,field2,field3,field4">
> <input type=text name=mv_searchspec value="foo">
> <input type=hidden name=mv_column_op value=rm>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_numeric value=0>
>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_search_field value="field5">
> <input type=hidden name=mv_searchspec value=1>
> <input type=hidden name=mv_column_op value="!=">
> <input type=hidden name=mv_numeric value=1>
>
> ..but it does not work.  The problem is the multiple search fields in the
> first group - if I search just one field, it works fine - multiple fields
> completely break the search.  Somehow I need to tell IC that "foo" in
> field1 OR field2 OR ... etc. is acceptable for the first group - it appears
> to be applying 'AND' logic to the list of fields instead.
>
> Perhaps this can be done with an SQL statement? But I would rather not rely
> on searching products.txt, I prefer to search the db directly.

Can't really be done with 4.6.x other than a hack which kills performance,
or by manually counting the index position of the fields and doing:

 <input type=hidden name=mv_search_field value=":4:6:7:8">

Shades of Minivend 2.

If you are waiting for a reason to update to 4.8, that would be  it, for
you can do: