[ic] Problems installing

Terese Elbring interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 14:23:00 2001

Hi Again,

I recently installed v. 4.8.1 modules without being root.
http://ic.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?id=9FrP6ATq&mv_arg=icinstall
06%2e00 addresses this.  My installopts file looked like this:

PREFIX=/apache/htdocs/interchange \
INSTALLPRIVLIB=/apache/htdocs/interchange/lib \
INSTALLSCRIPT=/apache/htdocs/interchange/bin \
INSTALLSITELIB=/apache/htdocs/interchange/lib \
INSTALLBIN=/apache/htdocs/interchange/bin \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=/apache/htdocs/interchange/lib/man \
INSTALLMAN3DIR=/apache/htdocs/interchange/lib/man/man3

you would of course replace /apache/htdocs with the actual path to where
you are installing interchange.  At the end of the 'make install' I
believe the cpan_local_install script is run, and it attempts to
automatically download and install the necessary perl modules using CPAN,
beginning with Bundle::Interchange.

Of Special Attention perhaps specific only to my installation:
1.  I had to run 'make install' twice for interchange to recognize that I
had all the necessary modules available, and copy the tlink, vlink etc to
the interchange/src directory.
2.   Just like the cpan_local_install script warned, it did try to
install a new version of Perl on my machine.  I simply CTRL-C at the
point of the installation wherein the CPAN install pauses to begin asking
for the configuration variables for the Perl installation (it's a rather
long message, you won't miss it).  This may be why the fist 'make
install' does not complete successfully, I don't know.
3.  I was also having Safe::Hole errors before doing the installation in
this fashion.

I hope this is helpful!!

Terese

On 8/24/01, 12:25:56 PM, Fred Pope <fred@satcomresources.com> wrote