[ic] Trying to get a grip on how IC works with "tables"

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 23:17:01 2001

Hi All

I am a new IC user.  I have been reading the various online docs and the
perl based docs including the FAQ.

I have installed 4.8.3 on FreeBSD 4.2 and am accessing PostgreSQL 7.1.3,
I believe, on a separate machine.

I installed the demo foundation store with no data preloaded as a test
bed.

I am running the interchange server as user

interch

This user also has its own group interch.

The catalog is in my directory

~chad/catalogs/foundation

The files in the catalogs tree are

user: chad   group: interch
some that were created are
user: interch   group:interch

The permissions for the files seem to match those given in the IC FAQ.

I am in the admin screen and can add new items, etc.  When I go to the
"administration" section, under payment, I try and change, for example,
"Online Check" from "accepted" to "not accepted."  The change does not
stick, after pressing "update" it reverts back immediately.

In the error.log file I see the following:

ip address and stuff [date] catalogname
/icgi/catalogname/admin/payment.html  Attempt to set
variable::Variable::POSTAL_ACCEPTED in read-only table

What makes a table read only?  The file variables.txt  is writable by
the group.

I have tried to RTFM and STFW and have not found the correct info to
help me grok this.  (I am not a perl pro).

These "tables" where the various variables are set -- these are just the
variables.txt and so forth in the catalog, right?

Thanks for your help.

Chad