[ic] Hotmail....BAD

Wed Dec 5 21:06:01 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Orko Sines wrote:

OS>>Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:46:48 -0800
OS>>From: Orko Sines <orkolist_interchange@hotmail.com>
OS>>To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
OS>>Subject: [ic] Hotmail....BAD
OS>>
OS>>>From the MailMan description of this mail list:
OS>>
OS>>"Note also that you may not receive mail from the list if you use certain
OS>>free email providers who do not defend the use of their From line by
OS>>spammers."
OS>>
OS>>Judging by the way I can see the messages coming into the list archives, but
OS>>don't see any rolling into my Inbox, I'm guessing that Hotmail is one of
OS>>those bad boy 'free email providers' they are talking about.
OS>>
OS>>Does anyone know of any free email providers are accepted here?  I'd hate to
OS>>use my work address, since that gets >500 a day as it is.

I am going to launch a tirade here which will earn me flames, so I've put on
my asbestos suit!

In my personal opinion, MOST people playing with Interchange are using it to
run a store. (www.freecell.com is one of the lovely exceptions.)

It's difficult for me to understand how someone can run a store without
having a specific domain name for it. Even if it's
www.mystore.multihost.bestserver.domain.com
I'm really turned off when I see a store being run - even with an
appropriate domain name and the order admin messages come from an AOL or
Hotmail, or Yahoo, etc address. It leads me to want to cancel the order, and
clearly tells me that I need to use PayPal, or a charge card that I can
quickly throw away when it becomes compromised. To me they are only
'wannabe's' and not yet ready for prime time.

And, frankly, I frequently pass by requests for help on this list that come
from a free e-mail provider, like hotmail, yahoo, etc.

I guess that some of this has been caused by warnings from my charge card
processors to be careful of customers using the free e-mail services. They
are saying that a significant amount of their fraud is from people using the
free e-mail services.

I think that if you are unable (or unwilling) to get your own domain name
and maintain it properly - with e-mail addresses - (even if it takes getting
help from your ISP) that you are not ready to tackle a complex package like
Interchange.

(Domain Discover is an EXCELLENT registrar! For $50 they will register your
domain name for 2 years, host your web page and provide e-mail addresses, I
doubt that they will supply Interchange, but they will put in the links to
forward that domain to a server that has IC.)

I don't know how other people on this list feel about supplying help to
people from the free e-mail providers........

I would appreciate it if all flames were sent to /dev/null
These opinions are strictly my own, and clearly demonstrate that I am a
cantankerous Olde Farte

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Wednesday, December 05, 2001 at 20:45 PM:
Useless Invention: Ice skate sandals, for use in hot climates.

This Linux System has been up 245 hours