[ic] IC and Java App Servers

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Dec 9 21:17:01 2001

> > One thing you haven't explained is what you need Java to do that
> > can't be done in Perl.  Perhaps you explained it in your 'more
> > familiar' statement, which is fair enough.
> >
> java is much kooler, marketing-wise, than that legacy cgi perl stuff.
> There is no arguing that.  :-)

Don't forget that some people are converting their 'legacy' Java stuff
to Perl.  There's no arguing that either.  :-)

Most people reading glossy marketing brochures wouldn't know Java from
a cup of tea anyway.  I think customers are more cynical about whatever
is the 'language of the week' these days and don't pay much attention
to whatever is being hyped up.  PHP came and went, Python was hyped for
around ten minutes and Java stopped getting press attention long ago.

Although Perl has never really captured the press' imagination, it has
been there all along and can realistically be marketed as a proven
and stable language, available on most OSs - it even works on one or
two BSD systems around the world.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin@cursor.uk.com