[ic] Performance of mysql versus postgressql

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 11:43:01 2001

> One of the reasons why we chose PostGreSQL over MySQL was its
> inherenet
> support for transactions, and what we thought was superior
> performance.
>
> You might want to run the Vaccum command on the database if
> you have just
> uploaded that many items. We are running the db on a seperate
> server and it
> works very well.
>
> --
> Fred Pope
> Satcom Resources
> 970-748-3094
> fred@satcomresources.com
> http://www.satcomresources.com
>
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody have experience with the perfomance of the postgressql
> database. Since Red hat sells his ecommerce solution package
> with postgress
> I thought
> this must be quite fast and efficient. But when I installed
> postgressql on
> my system with 3700 product items I found that mysql is much faster in
> uploading a page. Mysql needs 1.7 sec and Postgressql needs
> 2.7 sec for
> delivering
> the page. Did I set up the postgres databasesystem wrong?
>
> Can anybody share his knowledge about what king of computer
> hardware is
> neccessary to deliver the pages as a webserver. Is a Intel
> 866 Mhz Pentium
> processor with 255 MB RAM and an IDE harddrive enough to run
> a shop with
> around
> 3700 product items. I would like to place my server
> (serverhoming) dircetly
> at
> an company who has access to internet lines. Anbody has
> information about
> the
> monthly fees in Germany for serverhosting.
>
> Thanks
>
> Christian Willer

There are some things you can do for performance.
	* INDEX your tables and use EXPLAIN.
	* -F (disables sync() )
	* Tune -B -N -S parameters for more memory, etc.
But I think even then you may find that PostgreSQL handles a greater
capacity at the same speed, whereas MySQL will handle a lower capacity
at a greater speed.  (Kind of a latency vs. throughput type thing).

With 64MB DIMMS for $3, I don't know why you would stay with only 256MB
RAM.  SCSI disks are great too if you can afford them (the new 6th-gen
cheetah screams).

HTH,

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies