[ic] Results.html and tables?

Tue Dec 11 12:39:00 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:06:51AM -0800, Paul Jordan wrote:
> I am new to xml and IC but have completely customized the IC foundation to a
> fully functional store. However I am still having problems getting over some
> hurdles. Mostly just trying to understand and figure out how this stuff
> works, but I am trying-
>
> OK, my problem. My partners think my results.html page is not utilizing
> space well. As you know it loops through a search and displays them one
> below the other. I agree with them though. Is there a way to display the
> results like maybe 2 or 3 across and 2 or 3 down. You know?
>
> Like lets say I am selling pictures and I would like to display results
> going 3 across (left to right) and 3 down, although I don't care how many
> down it goes. I can control that search amount, that is easy enough.  I have
> no idea how to begin. Would I create 2 search lists?
>
> I just need a hint or, is it even possible with IC?

Use perl and stuff the result set into an array, then depending
on the size of the array, format it into
<TABLE>
<TD>record[1]
record[2]
record[n/2]</TD>
<TD>record[n/2+1]
etc...
[recordn]</TD>
</TABLE>

Without perl, you can use a scratch variable and [loop] to format like
this (but it's been a looooooooong time since I have done so)

<TABLE>
<TR><TD>record[1]</TD><TD>record[2]</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>record[n-1]</TD><TD>record[n]</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

> I am going to work on it until I get it but if I had a hint, because right
> know I can't even see how it would be possible.

It's a hint, yes.  :-)

cfm