[ic] Problem with file/photo uploads in admin interface

Nathaniel Scott interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 23:59:01 2001

[this may be a duplicate post, if so, sorry]

I'm having a problem with the admin photo/file uploads.  I've searched the
archives and found a couple people that have had this problem, but no
solution was posted.

Here's what happens:

On any of the various sites we're hosting that use interchange, none of them
permit us to upload files via the admin interface.  Sometimes it looks like
the file has been uploaded, but the file size is set to zero bytes.  Other
times interchange gives an error "permission denied -- are you sure you're
logged in?"  This happens no matter what directory I try to upload to.

We started with Interchange 4.77 running on our Raq4i, with perl 5.005.
We've been running very successfully for 4 months now, short of this
problem -- as we've manage the sites ourselves, we just ftp the files and
get over it.

Obviously the first place I looked for a solution was the version of Perl
that we're running.  We cannot upgrade the base perl without breaking the
Cobalt admin pages, so I did a parallel install into the /home/local-perl
directory with perl 5.6.1.  I then downloaded the bundle::interchange and
ran that until it was up to date.  I then recompiled interchange pointing to
the new Perl.  After ironing out a few bugs, interchange was up and running
(and it even seemed a tad faster).

I've tried a new catalog, changing the permissions on the various
directories, all are owned to interch, etc.  I also installed interchange
onto our local development system, a Red Hat 7.2 linux box.  It runs
perfectly, with no errors uploading.  I then compared perl modules that are
installed on the Red Hat box and installed any that were "missing" on the
Raq's new Perl.  Short of a few modules that I couldn't find on CPAN (or
didn't know the parent modules) they're identical.

The interchange hosted sites have the cgi-wrapper disabled and is pointing
to the normal cgi scripter via the httpd.conf file.

I've been upgrading the Interchange with every release, and have been very,
very impressed with it.  I've been lurking on the list for a while now, and
find it very informative.  However, I'm banging my head on this one.  As
always happens, we now have two more clients that want a store front with
the upload capability, and my boss said "sure -- no problem"

::sigh::

A week later and those numerous (and other) attempts later I'm turning to
the list.  Any pointers on what direction I might head with this?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Nathaniel Scott
The Cyber Image