[ic] Performance of mysql versus postgressql

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 14:45:00 2001

> > Message: 12
> > From: "Mike Clark" <mclark7@triad.rr.com>
> > To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
> > Subject: Re: [ic] Performance of mysql versus postgressql
> > Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:54:33 -0500
>
> > Also be aware that Postgres' strength lies in scalability
> as you load
> your
> > server. MySQL is quite likely to be faster under
> single-user or light
> loads.
>
> I beg to differ. mySQL is quite likely to be faster under all
> conditions. We run mySQL on a dozen databases anywhere from 1,000
> records up to 2.5M records and anywhere from 10 to 100's of
> transactions
> per second. All on the same machine and daemon. Most of these run from
> various web servers with no effect on page loads. Postgres' strength
> lies in being a "Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all SQL
> constructs, including subselects, transactions, and user-defined types
> and functions.". Because of this it is not as lean and mean
> as mySQL is.
> Check out:

http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmark-results/result-mysql,pg.html

I'm sure it wont be long before we have Monty on the list again.  If
anyone really wants to get into the PgSQL vs. MySQL flamewar again, how
about you just look it up in the archives and re-read it to satisfy your
need.  :-)

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies