[ic] hardware recommendations

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Dec 16 21:18:01 2001

> > > SCSI disks are recommended (low latency, high throughput) as well as
> > > lots of RAM.  But, as always, your hardware needs depend on your load
> > > and catalog.  For low-end sites, even a duron 700 with 512mb RAM and a
> > > SCSI hdd can really serve up the pages fast.  HTH,
> > >
> > Thanks for the info.  My system is grinding with a simple catalog on
> > IC 4.8.3, with Apache 1.3.22 and MySQL; it's a Celeron 900MHz and 128MB
> > of RAM.  It's purely a testing system, but performance is very low.
> >
> YOu NEED a lot more RAM... I wont roll out an Interchange server without
> at LEAST 1G and 2G of swap.... The last 3 Interchange servers that have
> been put into production all have 1.5Gigs of RAM and 2Gigs of swap....
> 128Megs will cause Interchange to run VERY slow...

I agree that, as memory is cheap at the moment, installing more than
128MB is a good idea that certainly can't hurt the performance of a
system.  Adding more memory will give the OS some extra buffers and
cache to play with, but if it's purely a testing system then why bother?

I have a P200 test machine with 128MB RAM (320MB swap) and old SCSI-II
disks which runs Interchange, Apache, MySQL and other related stuff
happily enough.  There are several test sites and configurations on
that box at the moment.  As you'd expect, it's not quick enough for
production use, but it runs well.  In fact, it runs so well that it's
not occurred to me to upgrade it until recently, and I'm in no rush to
do that.

Running Interchange on a P200 really helps when testing changes that
are likely to affect the performance of one or more pages.  :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin@cursor.uk.com