[ic] The Interchange-Users Owners' Club

Mon Dec 17 08:41:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Kevin Walsh wrote:

KW>>Does this mean that, from now on, every question will be met with either
KW>>an RTFM, or yet another repost of the entire text of the "smart way to
KW>>ask questions" guide?

Using an RTFM or "check the mailing list archives" has at least a couple of
benefits.

The requestor will usually stumble across some other things that were
causing them questions, as well as variations on their own problem. The
topic is usually covered in more depth in those sources.

And, it reduces the bandwidth on this list by avoiding having the same
questions being asked over and over and over. Like the perennial "I just
built my store and I can't figure out how to log into the Admin section."
post that we seem to see about twice a month.

I am opposed to seeing just an RTFM with no clues as to where to start
looking. I don't consider that helpful.

And, then, there is the all-time favorite: "I've asked this question 4 times
now and no one has answered me!"

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, December 17, 2001 at 08:35 AM:
Even in this corner of the galaxy, Captain, 2+2=4 ... Spock

This Linux System has been up 521 hours