[ic] Help with IC setup

Jason Kohles interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 00:36:01 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 03:31:06PM -0800, tburt@timburt.com wrote:

> Wait a minute...  30 CPAN modules?
>
> I only installed about 10 ...
>
> I hope these 30 modules are just your favorites, not all required....
>
> If they are required, please send a list!  That may be my dilema.

For your benefit, and everyone else who asked for a list, I've attached a
list of every module Interchange can possibly load, and a description of
what you need it for (most of them indicate if they are optional).  This
list was accurate in 4.7, if anyone notices any errors let me know and I'll
get it updated before I add the list to the FAQ.

> Oh, yea, about rpm...  It sometimes quits if it stubs a toe, and doesn't
> tell you that it didn't do the whole lot.  I have taken to:
>
> ls *.rpm > doit
>
> Then vi doit and give the command:
>
> :%s/^/rpm -ivh /
>
> Save and then run "sh -x doit" sometimes more than once (to deal with
> missing dependencies).  Or I will go back and add a --nodeps.
> Fortunately, rpm detects when it has already installed and skips pretty
> quickly on subsequent runs.
>
> It also helps to re-arrange the rpms in order, if you have a hunch on the
> dependencies...  I like to put the libraries and RPM updates at the top.

You can avoid this whole issue just by doing 'rpm -ivh *.rpm', if you do them
all in one command line, then you can't have dependency problems between
them.

----- LIST STARTS HERE ----

MD5
    This module is used to generate unique cache keys. If you don't have it,
    then keys will be computed with a checksum that has a very low but not
    infinitesimal chance of causing a cache conflict.

MIME::Base64
    Required for the internal HTTP Server.

URI::URL
    Required for the internal HTTP Server.

Term::ReadKey
    Helps Term::ReadLine::Perl generate completions and editing.

Term::ReadLine::Perl
    Gives you filename completion and command history in the makecat program.
    Not used otherwise.

Business::UPS
    Enables lookup of shipping costs directly from www.ups.com.

SQL::Statement
    Enables SQL-style search query statements for Interchange.

Storable
    If you have this module session save speed increases by anywhere
    from 25-60%.  Highly recommended for busy systems.

DBI
    Most people want to use SQL with Interchange, and this is a requirement.
    You will also need the appropriate DBD module, i.e. DBD::mysql to support
    MySQL.

Safe::Hole
    This helps Interchange deal with the object-creation restrictions
    of Safe.pm, used to encourage security.

DBD::Oracle
    Required if you want to use Interchange with Oracle databases.

DBD::Pg
    Required if you want to use Interchange with Postgres databases.

Errno
    This distribution generates a Errno package which will define and
    optionally export all E* constants defined in your system <errno.h>
    file.

Apache::Registry
    This is only required if you are using the perl version of tlink, the
    vast majority of people will not need it.

File::CounterFile
    Implements a persistent counter class, used for record autonumbering,
    among other things.

HTML::Entities
    Used by the parser for encoding/decoding HTML entities.

HTTP::Headers
    Used to interpret and encapsulate HTTP headers in the built-in web server.

HTTP::Request::Common
    Encapsulates HTTP requests for the built-in web server.

HTTP::Response
    Encapsulates HTTP responses for the built-in web server.

IniConf
    Parser for reading .ini style configuration files.

LWP::UserAgent
    Used for retrieving information over the internet, such as real-time UPS
    rate lookups.

SOAP::Lite
    Used by the internal SOAP system for object exchange and RPC on the web.
    If you don't know what this means, you probably don't need it.

Net::LDAP
    Required for access to LDAP databases.

LWP::Simple
    Used for retrieving information over the internet, such as real-time UPS
    rate lookups.

Tie::Watch
    Used to allow setting of watchpoints in catalog.cfg.

ExtUtils::MakeMaker Config File::Copy File::Path Safe File::Basename
File::Find Data::Dumper Cwd Socket Symbol Carp DB_File Search::Dict Fcntl
Exporter Text::ParseWords Getopt::Long Getopt::Std GDBM_File CPAN
File::Spec POSIX SDBM_File
    These are all part of the perl core, if they are missing either they
    aren't needed by perl on your architecture, or your perl installation
    is broken.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@redhat.com
Senior System Architect                      (703)786-8036 (cellular)